Choosing to install a new roof is a significant investment for many homeowners. It can be a complex process that takes a long time to plan and prepare for. One step of the process is finding a qualified roofing contractor that is knowledgeable and one you can trust to complete the job. This might be one of the more difficult tasks of having your roof replaced.
Having a list of questions ready to ask a roofer during an estimate is the best way to determine if they are the best roofer for you. Many homeowners choose to receive estimates from at least 3 different roofers to ensure they are getting the best price for what they need to accomplish. Each of these roofers may give different answers, but they should be capable of answering these questions.
1. What signs say I need a new roof?
Asking a roofer this question will help you understand exactly why a new roof is your future. While cracked or missing tiles might be a simple repair, there are other signs that your entire roof is ready to be replaced:
- Several shingles or tiles are rotting. Shingles that are also missing several granules is a major sign of replacement needed.
- Cracked or severely damaged flashing. This can cause water to access the lower levels of the roofing system and leaks inside a house.
- Sagging gutters or roof lines. If you notice this, your roof might have significant damage below the surface and should be taken very seriously.
If a roofer cannot provide you with a few logical reasons why your roof needs replaced, you might want to keep searching. A professionally trained roofer will be able to inspect your roof and know exactly why you requested a new roof estimate from them.
2. How long will the replacement take?
The answer to this will vary as some replacements take as little as 1 day, where others take well over 1 week. There are several components that contribute to the time it takes to install a new roof. The size of your home will determine the size of roof needed, which of course will determine the amount of time it will take to put a new roof on. Also taken into account is the magnitude of the job. Partial replacements or roof overs will take a lot less time than those of a full replacement, with removal of the old roofing material.
One item that no roofer can truly plan for is weather. Roofing work cannot be done in the rain as it can be unsafe for the roofing team and cause problems in the roofing system in the future. As mother nature can be unpredictable, your replacement may be extended a few days due to weather.
3. How much will this cost?
Similar to the previous question, there is no single answer as many factors determine the cost of a new roof or roof replacement. These items might include:
- Which roofing material you choose. Tiles can be more expensive than other materials and some metal options are also more expensive than others.
- The size of your home. The larger your house, the more materials and labor needed to complete your roof replacement.
- Current roofing conditions. If the layers below the material (tile, shingle, metal, etc.) are heavily damaged or worn, they will need to be replaced before the new is installed.
Again though, your roofing contractor should be able to offer you an accurate estimate when they initially inspect the roof. This is typically the reason most homeowners ask 3 different companies for estimates.
Finding the best roofer for your home.
A new roof is expensive and having a roofer who is competent and trustworthy installing it is extremely important. Be sure to ask as many questions as you need to feel comfortable before deciding on a contractor to hire. When they take an estimate of your roof they should be able to at minimum answer these three questions. If they cannot, you might want to get an estimate from another roofer.
- What signs say I need a new roof?
- How long will the replacement take?
- How much will this cost?
If you are seeking a trusted roofer with nearly two decades experience in the Arizona roofing industry, contact Craven Construction today. Our team is licensed and insured to add a little more peace of mind when it comes to caring for your home. We can properly assess your roof, offer you an honest estimate to replace it, and get the job done in an efficient manner. Call our office to schedule your FREE estimate today!
Are you seeking a qualified roofer in the East Valley?
About Craven Construction
Craven Construction is dedicated to providing our customers with honest and reliable roofing services. With over 19 years of residential and commercial experience, we are here to serve you and all of your roofing needs.
Our team of experienced roofers is licensed and knowledgeable in working with all types of roofing. We offer high quality roofing services and are capable of getting your project completed in a timely, efficient manner.