Completely replacing a roof is not something most Arizona homeowners look forward to. A replacement can be time consuming, expensive, and an all around hassle. There are signs you can look for to let you know when your shingle roof needs replaced. Knowing ahead of time, versus an emergency replacement, can allow you to interview several roofers, do your research, and most importantly, put funds aside to cover the expense. We are going to walk you through common signs your shingle roof needs replaced.
5 Signs Your Shingle Roof Needs Replaced
- The Roof Is 20+ Years Old – An asphalt shingle roof has a standard lifespan between 20 and 30 years. If your current roof falls between that age, you may want to have it inspected and begin planning for its replacement. The older a roof is, the less efficient it functions and the likelihood of a major problem developing is even greater.
- Missing Granules – Arizona sees a variety of weather, including excessive heat, a lot of sun, and the occasional monsoon. As your roof is constantly exposed to the elements, it can break down the composition of your shingles. If your shingles are missing a large amount of granules, it may be time to replace your roof. An easy way to inspect for granule loss is to examine the ground around your downspouts after a rainstorm.
- Shingles Are Curling – A common sign that it is time to replace your roof is when the shingles begin to curl. Similar to the missing granules, excessive sun can expedite the curing of shingles. When shingles begin to curl, they can allow water to find its way to lower areas of your roofing system. Having a professional roofer inspect your shingle roof is important when you notice the first sign of curling.
- Frequent Leaks – Similar to your car or home appliances, the more something breaks down, the more likely it needs to be replaced and repaired again. Similarly, if your roof is leaking frequently, it may be time for a complete replacement. Even with a professional roofing repair, there comes a time when the entire roof needs to be replaced, especially the older the roof. Keep track of damage and repairs to your roof can help you determine when it is cost effective to replace.
- You See Sunlight – A significant sign your shingle roof is in need of replacement is when you can see sunlight from your attic. This, along with the presence of water stains, is a sign that you have a pretty significant and active leak. While small leaks can be repaired, larger ones may have already caused structural damage to your home. Also consider the age of your roof to determine if a replacement is a better idea than a simple repair.
Annual inspection of your roof can help you determine when it is time for a complete replacement. Whether you complete the inspection yourself or hire a professional roofer to do so, looking for these signs can help save you prepare for a roof replacement and save your wallet.
Craven Construction provides FREE roofing estimates to the entire East Valley! Contact our team today if you believe your shingle roof is in need of replacement. We can provide you with professional guidance and the best option of roof for your home.
Does your shingle roof need replaced?
About Craven Construction
Craven Construction is dedicated to providing our customers with honest and reliable roofing services. With over 16 years of residential and commercial experience, we are here to serve you and all of your roofing needs.
Our team of experienced roofers is licensed and knowledgeable in working with all types of roofing. We offer high quality roofing services and are capable of getting your project completed in a timely, efficient manner.