If you are considering a new roof for your home, one material choice you have is stone coated metal. Frequently used to upgrade a standard asphalt shingle roof, stone coated metal is growing in popularity. Stone coated metal combines the strength of steel with the tact of traditional roofing materials, such as shingles or tiles.
Before selecting a material choice for your roof, especially if you are considering a different material than your current roof, education is key! We always stress researching and conducting your own analysis about what is best for you and your home. To help you make your decision on stone coated metal, we have put together these pros and cons.
What is Stone Coated Metal Roofing?
Exactly as its name suggests, this roofing material is typically made of steel and then coated with permanently adhered stone chips. This combination creates a durable roof that can provide an increased protection from the elements. Typically made from recycled materials, a stone coated metal roof adds beautiful curb appeal to your home.
Every homeowner has their needs and wants when it comes to their house. Below are the top advantages of choosing stone coated metal over traditional roofing materials.
- Lifespan: Stone coated metal roofs can have a lifespan upwards of 65 years! To get to this age, professional installation and proper maintenance is required, but it is totally achievable. With such a long lifespan, stone coated metal roofs are incredibly popular and should be seen as an investment if you plan on installing one on your house.
- Durability: Like we said before, stone coated materials are incredibly durable and provide increased protection from the elements. Depending on where you live, having a sturdy roof can save your home from damaging rainstorms, hail, strong winds, snow, and even fire. Compared to alternative roofing materials, stone coated metal provides high quality and increased durability.
- Curb Appeal: Stone coated metal provides a beautiful look and adds curb appeal to any home. If you are looking to upgrade your house or planning to sell your home in the future, you can certainly add value and curb appeal with stone coated metal. This material comes in a wide variety of colors, texture, and style that can look like other popular materials.
- Energy Efficiency: Metal roofs are incredibly energy efficient as they reflect heat instead of absorbing it. This helps keep the indoor temperature of the house at a desired level while consuming less energy and lowering utility bills. This savings in monthly utilities can help justify the initial cost of a new roof.
- Minimal Required Maintenance: Metal roofs require minimal maintenance to keep them healthy and protect your home. Stone coated metal roofs are designed to withstand extreme elements and will not incur typical damage like other roofing materials. If your roof does need maintenance or repair, be sure to have it completed immediately so as to not sustain additional damage.
Before you decide to install a new stone coated metal roof, you should be aware of two downsides that homeowners have pointed out. First, the initial cost of a stone coated metal roof can be more than your typical shingle roof. The long term benefits can help offset this expense if you take into account energy bills, maintenance, and repair savings over the lifespan of the roof. A stone coated metal roof is also an investment for resale if you are preparing to sell your home.
The second downside to note about a stone coated metal roof is it may come with elevated sound levels. Some homeowners enjoy the additional sounds that come with a metal roof and it is often a significant reason to add one to a house. If you are a light sleeper or simply want to decrease the amount of sound from the roof, additional material can be added to the roof deck to dampen it.
There are so many advantages to adding a stone coated metal roof! If you are located in the East Valley and in the market for a new roof, contact Craven Construction today. Our team is available to assess your home and offer the best option for a new roof. You can trust our team to handle your roof with professionalism and get the job done right! With over 20 years experience, we are also licensed and insured for added peace of mind. Contact our office to schedule your FREE estimate!
Interested in a new stone coated metal roof?
About Craven Construction
Craven Construction is dedicated to providing our customers with honest and reliable roofing services. With over 19 years of residential and commercial experience, we are here to serve you and all of your roofing needs.
Our team of experienced roofers is licensed and knowledgeable in working with all types of roofing. We offer high quality roofing services and are capable of getting your project completed in a timely, efficient manner.